Monday, August 5, 2019

MTC

 Monday night, July 29, President Liddle set us apart as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  We are so grateful Katie, Brandon, Millie and Abbie could join us for the setting apart.  Before hand he asked each of our daughters and Brandon a few things about their feelings about us leaving for a mission. They said some wonderful things.  I sure love my kids and I love their husbands.  I'm so proud of the great daughters they have become.  We are so blessed with a wonderful family.

Pres. Liddle gave us both a beautiful blessing.  One of the things he blessed us with was that our family will be watched over that the windows of Heaven will be opened for them.  He said that we would see growth among our family members.  I can't say what that means.  It just meant so much to me.  Afterwards he took a picture of us putting our picture on the stake missionaries bulletin board.  I was so surprised to see that there is only one other senior couple serving a mission outside of our stake boundaries.  It also made me proud to think we are one of the 2 couples serving!  It's not easy!  It's not cheap!  But it's definitely going to be worth it.  We are anxious and ready to serve. 

When we got home, Addie Hansen, who stayed at our house to watch the grandkids, asked if I felt differently.  At first, I didn't.  But as I thought about it and paid attention, then I realized I do feel different.  Right after the blessing, I felt so much peace and calmness.  And as I've left and got on our way, I feel Jesus Christ with me.   It just feels good and right.  I've thought that I wished they would set the China Teachers apart to give them that extra boost and Spirit to do that work. 



On Thursday morning about 7:00, we arrived at the MTC in Aukland, New Zealand.  We were picked up at the airport along with 2 sisters and 2 elders.  They got us here in time for breakfast, which we didn't need but ate.  Then we were showed our room and able to take a nap for about 2 hours.  We showered and then registered for the MTC.  We received some instructions, met with Pres. Sorensen, who is a counselor to Pres. Dil, the MTC President.  Then it was time for lunch and the classes began.  There are about 20 missionaries that entered the MTC today.  Most of them are from New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga or Australia.  There are 4 of us from the US.  Unfortunately there were MANY from the US that had to go to the Provo MTC because they could not get their New Zealand Visas.  The MTC is small but very nice.  The weather is cold (around 50 degrees) and has been windy and rainy most of the time we've been here.  It will look nice and sunny and then 10 minutes later it will be pouring rain.  There's not a lot of heating in the building--none in the hallways, so I'm grateful I threw in a sweater at the last minute.

Friday and Saturday we had classes all day with Sister Langkilde and Brother Laurenson.  They are both excellent teachers.  They have been teaching us out of the Preach My Gospel book.  I've looked through this book before but I've never realized how amazing it is.  Maybe it's the spirit of the MTC but it really is amazing.  As I learn how to use it, I often think this is what our families should be using to teach their children in FHE.  It contains the simple truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Since we are not serving a proselyting mission we keep asking ourselves, why are they teaching us how to use this book and how to teach the gospel to investigators?  We've basically come up with this solution:  That it will help us to be a better support to proselyting missionaries and it will help us if we ever are in the situation where we can/should/will or need to share the gospel.  We are set apart as missionaries and you never know when we might be given an assignment from our mission president or our Bishop to help a less active member or maybe an investigator to gain a testimony of the principles taught in Preach my Gospel.

Today, Sister Langkilde shared many stories of when she was a missionary in Samoa.  She was one of those missionaries that completely knew how to follow the Spirit.  She has a strong testimony.  What I have learned the most so far is how important it is that you genuinely get to know your investigator and strive to understand where they are coming from.  Also, Pres. Holland said to never let an investigator get away with not completing an assignment they agreed to do.  Quoting him, "Much of the time we are just too casual about all of this. This is eternal life.  This is the salvation of the children of God.  Eternity hangs in the balance.  This is the most important path a person will ever walk.  But if he or she doesn't know that, at least you do!"  Pretty powerful! Right?  Pictures of our week!

And...we're off!
Good Bye Salt Lake City
 Brother Laurenson, who met us at the airport.  He is one of our teachers and "investigator."


 A basket of treats waiting for us in our room.

 A basket of fruit for us as well.
 Looking out our window.

Our Room--pretty much a nice hotel room.

1 comment:

  1. We love seeing all these beautiful pictures of the MTC and you. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Love Whitaker chocolate! That stuff is additive - so good. Happy travels to Fiji!

    ReplyDelete

Goodbyes with lots of Hugs and Tears

 I realize we have now been home almost 4 weeks.  Wow how time flies.  But I still wanted to make one last and final post.  We absolutely lo...